POST OF THE WEEK:
THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Winterland (2011)
Long time fans of the Jimi Hendrix Experience have a real gift coming in a couple of weeks. On September 13, Experience Hendrix LLC and Legacy Recordings is releasing a four disc box set of live performances recorded during six shows, two each night, at San Francisco's Winterland Ballroom from October 10-12, 1968. The concerts, also available in a Vinyl Audiophile LP Deluxe Box Set and a single Highlights CD, originally celebrated the two year anniversary of the Experience. The set features live versions of previously unreleased classics as well as a backstage interview with Hendrix recorded at the Boston Garden shortly after the Winterland concerts. It will also include a 36 page booklet with an essay by Rolling Stone's David Fricke and previously unreleased photos. All told it adds up to a Hendrix cornucopia bound to light up the eyes of all Jimi aficionados. Not only are there opportunities to compare tracks like the 15 minute "Tax Free" jam on the CD of the October 10th concert and the ten minute version on the October 11th CD. But the box set also includes three versions of "Lover Man," "Red House," "Hey Joe" and "Foxey Lady"; a couple of takes of Hendrix's version of "The Star-Spangled Banner"; and no fewer than four performances of his signature "Purple Haze." The biggest problem is trying to decide which ones you like best. There are a couple of stellar interpretations of Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone," one of which has already been released as a single, to say nothing of appealing performances of songs like "Are You Experienced," "Manic Depression," "Spanish Castle Magic," and "Little Wing." Then you've got Hendrix putting his own spin on "Killing Floor" and "Sunshine of Your Love." There are literally hours of old memories rekindled and new ones in the making. The bonus disc 5 features an amateur stereo recording made of Jimi's sold out February 4, 1968 Winterland performance.
DISC 1 - Winterland (10-10-68):
01. Tax Free 02. Lover Man 03. Sunshine of Your Love 04. Hear My Train A Comin' 05. Killing Floor 06. Foxey Lady 07. Hey Joe 08. Star Spangled Banner 09. Purple Haze
DISC 2 - Winterland (10-11-68):
01. Tax Free 02. Like a Rolling Stone 03. Lover Man 04. Hey Joe 05. Fire 06. Foxey Lady 07. Are You Experienced 08. Red House 09. Purple Haze
DISC 3 - Winterland (10-12-68):
01. Fire 02. Lover Man 03. Like a Rolling Stone 04. Manic Depression 05. Sunshine of Your Love 06. Little Wing 07. Spanish Castle Magic 08. Red House 09. Hey Joe 10. Purple Haze 11. Wild Thing
DISC 4 - Winterland - Bonus Disc:
01. Foxy Lady 02. Are You Experienced 03. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) 04. Red House 05. Star Spangled Banner
06. Purple Haze 07. Jimi Hendrix: Boston Garden Backstage Interview
DISC 5 - Hendrix In The West - Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco (02-04-1968)
01. Killing Floor 02. Red House 03. Catfish Blues 04. Dear Mr. Fantasy [Part One] 05. Dear Mr. Fantasy [Part Two]
DISCLAIMER: The music found through this blog is intended for review purposes and should not be seen as a substitute for the original, legal, RIAA approved, record company enriching product. Please note that songs are available for VERY short amount of time. And if you like the music BUY IT. Please support the artists and buy as much as you can directly from them and cut out the middle man.
zinhof [at] gmail.com