ROBYN HITCHCOCK & THE EGYPTIANS - Luminous Groove (2008)
Robyn Rowan Hitchcock is an English singer-songwriter and guitarist. While primarily a vocalist and guitarist, he also plays harmonica, piano and bass guitar. Coming to prominence in the late 1970s with The Soft Boys, Hitchcock afterward launched a prolific solo career. Hitchcock's musical and lyrical styles have been influenced by the likes of Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Syd Barrett. Hitchcock's lyrics tend to include surrealism, comedic elements, characterisations of English eccentrics, and melancholy depictions of everyday life. His themes include the eternal contingencies of existence — namely: death, sex, and eating. (Recognising these themes, he released an EP in 2007 called Sex, Food, Death and Tarantulas.) He was signed to two major American labels (A&M Records, then Warner Brothers) over the course of the 1980s and '90s, but mainstream success has been limited. Still, he has maintained a loyal cult following and has often earned strong critical reviews over a steady stream of album releases and live performances. - wikipedia
"Luminous Groove" is a 2008 compilation box set of the records Fegmania! (1985), Gotta Let This Hen Out (1985) and Element of Light (1986) by Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians. The versions included are the extended CD reissues from YepRoc. The set also includes 2 discs of B-sides and rarities called A Bad Case of History.
DISC 1 - Fegmania!
01. Egyptian Cream 02. Another Bubble 03. I'm Only You 04. My Wife & My Dead Wife 05. Goodnight I Say 06. The Man With the Lightbulb Head 07. Insect Mother 08. Strawberry Mind 09. Glass 10. The Fly 11. Heaven 12. Heaven End Bit 13. Bells Of Rhymney 14. Some Body 15. Heaven (live) 16. The Pit Of Souls 17. The Drowning Church 18. The Man With The Lightbulb Head (instrumental) 19. Lady Obvious
DISC 2 - Gotta Let This Hen Out
01. Sometimes I Wish I Was a Pretty Girl 02. Kingdom of Love 03. Acid Bird 04. The Cars She Used to Drive 05. My Wife & My Dead Wife 06. Brenda's Iron Sledge 07. The Fly 08. Only the Stones Remain 09. Egyptian Cream 10. Leppo & the Jooves 11. America 12. Heaven 13. Listening to the Higsons 14. The Face of Death 15. If You Were a Priest 16 Freeze 17. I'm Only You 18. Unsettled 19. Egyptian Cream
DISC 3 - Element of Light
01. If You Were a Priest 02. Winchester 03. Somewhere Apart 04. Ted, Woody and Junior 05. The President 06. Raymond Chandler Evening 07. Bass 08. Airscape 09. Never Stop Bleeding 10. Lady Waters & the Hooded One 11. The Black Crow Knows 12. The Crawling 13. The Leopard 14. Tell Me About Your Drugs 15. Sprinkling Dots 16. Upside Down Church Blues 17. Into It 18. Neck 19. Bass [demo] 20. Lady Waters & the Hooded One [mix 1]
DISC 4 - Bad Case of History 1: Studio Outtakes
01. Bad Case of History 02. In Agony of Pleasure 03. Poisonous Angel 04. Live Man Die 05. Furry Baby 06. Evil Guy 07. Hanging Out With Dad 08. Wild Mountain Thyme 09. Ivy Alone 10. I Am Not Me 11. Surfer Ghost 12. Beautiful Queen 13. Testosterone Blues 14. Zipper in My Spine 15. Lost Tribes
DISC 5 - Bad Case of History 2: Live
01. Child of the Universe 02. Freeze 03. Veins of the Queen 04. The Ruling Class 05. So You Think You're in Love 06. Driving Aloud 07. Wax Doll 08. The Living Years 09. Eight Miles High 10. Chimes of Freedom 11. Railway Shoes 12. Arms of Love 13. The Moon Inside 14. Globe of Frogs 15. Vegetation & Dimes 16. Wafflehead 17. The Wreck of the Arthur Lee
DISCLAIMER: The music found through this blog is intended for review purposes and should not be seen as a substitute for the original, legal, RIAA approved, record company enriching product. Please note that songs are available for VERY short amount of time. And if you like the music BUY IT. Please support the artists and buy as much as you can directly from them and cut out the middle man.
zinhof [at] gmail.com