DEEP PURPLE - The Friends And Relatives Album (1999)
This ambitious anthology chronicles the life of hard rock Deep Purple and its many offshoots, predecessors, and legacies, from well-known acts such as Whitesnake, Rainbow, and Dio to lesser known groups like Trapeze. The 26 track collection also includes hits by the original act including the signature song "Smoke On The Water." An entertaining, if rather puzzling, sort of concept album, DEEP PURPLE FAMILY is mostly written and sung by Eddie Hardin, the man who had the unenviable task of replacing Stevie Winwood in the old Spencer Davis Group, and later formed the prog-rock duo Hardin & York. Hardin has assembled an impressive, if grizzled, group of Brit Rock names here--various members of Deep Purple, Manfred Mann, and the Dave Clark Fives--to help him perform this lengthy song cycle. Musically, it's a pleasant ride; most of Hardin's songs sound like laid-back, '70s L.A. studio pop, although Maggie Bell (England's answer to Janis Joplin back in the day) raises the energy level considerably on her two songs, and the Chris Barber Band makes some nice retro jazz noises on parts one and two of "Swanks and Swells."
1999 release, a 'family tree' album with cuts by Deep Purple, solo cuts by members of the band, including Glenn Hughes, Ian Gillan, Bernie Marsden & David Coverdale, plus bands with Deep Purple members, including Rainbow, Trapeze, E.L.F. & War Horse. 26 tracks in all. Double slimline jewelcase. An Eagle Records release.
01. Black Night (Deep Purple)
02. Paint It Black (Deep Purple)
03. I Got It Covered (Glenn Hughes)
04. Scarabus (Ian Gillan Band)
05. Wonderworld (ELF)
06. Hole In The Sky (David Coverdale)
07. Gut Reaction (Ian Gillan)
08. Slipstreaming (Nick Simper's Fandango)
09. You 'N' Me (Bernie Marsden)
10. Hang Me Out To Dry (Ian Gillan)
11. Ritual (Warhorse)
12. Seagull (Trapeze)
13. Do You Close Your Eyes (Rainbow)
01. Smoke In The Water (Deep Purple)
02. Stormbringer (Deep Purple)
03. Rainbow (ELF)
04. My Kind Of Woman (Moody Marsden Band)
05. She Took My Breath Away (Glover & Gillan)
06. Message In A Bottle (Ian Gillan)
07. Whitesnake (David Coverdale)
08. Shake The Devil (Tommy Bolin)
09. Carolina County Ball (ELF)
10. Clear Air Turbulence (Ian Gillan Band)
11. Time And Again (David Coverdale)
12. Way Back To The Bone (Trapeze)
13. Kill The King (Rainbow)
I would like to sell all my digitally music collection (mp3 & lossless). It is necessary for continuation on my blog working. All music is cataloged in one WhereIsIt file. If someone interested...mail me, or maybe someone wants to be a sponsor (advertisement), my old laptop is almost ruined, I don't ask for money...
DISCLAIMER: The music found through this blog is intended for review purposes and should not be seen as a substitute for the original, legal, RIAA approved, record company enriching product. Please note that songs are available for VERY short amount of time. And if you like the music BUY IT. Please support the artists and buy as much as you can directly from them and cut out the middle man.
zinhof [at] gmail.com