EIGHT-O-ONE - Live (2008)
In 1976, while Roxy Music had temporarily disbanded, 801 (also referred to as THE 801) got together as a temporary project and began rehearsing at Island Studios, Hammersmith, about three weeks before their first gig. The name of the band was taken from the Eno song "The True Wheel", which appears on his 1974 solo album Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy). The refrain of the song -- "We are the 801, we are the central shaft" -- reportedly came to him in a dream (although it has also been noted that "Eight Nought One" acrostically spells his name - unless of course it's "Eight Zero One," which would make his name Brian Ezo). 801 performed three critically highly acclaimed concerts: in Norfolk, at the Reading Festival and the final concert on 3 September at London's Queen Elizabeth Hall. This last concert was recorded live and released as the album 801 Live. The music consisted of more or less mutated selections from albums by Manzanera, Eno, and Quiet Sun, plus a full-scale rearrangement of Lennon-McCartney's "Tomorrow Never Knows" and an off-the-wall excursion into The Kinks' 1964 hit "You Really Got Me". Released at the height of the punk rock revolution in the UK, the LP was not a major commercial success, but it sold well throughout the world, particularly because it gained rave reviews from critics, both for the superb performances by the musicians and for its groundbreaking sound quality. 1, 2, 3.
* Phil Manzanera (guitars, ex-Roxy Music)
* Brian Eno (keyboards, synthesizers, guitar, and vocals, ex-Roxy Music)
* Bill MacCormick (bass and vocals, ex-Quiet Sun, Matching Mole)
* Francis Monkman (Fender Rhodes piano and clavinet, ex-Curved Air)
* Simon Phillips (drums and rhythm generator)
* Lloyd Watson (slide-guitar and vocals).
DISC 1 - LIVE:
01. Lagrima 02. T.N.K. (Tomorrow Never Knows) 03. East Of Asteroid 04. Rongwrong 05. Sombre Reptiles 06. Golden Hours 07. Fat Lady Of Limbourg 08. Baby's On Fire 09. Diamond Head 10. Miss Shapiro 11. You Really Got Me 12. Third Uncle
DISC 2 - LIVE BONUS:
01. Lagrima 02. T.N.K. (Tomorrow Never Knows) 03. East Of Asteroid 04. Rongwrong 05. Sombre Reptiles 06. Fat Lady Of Limbourg 07. Baby's On Fire 08. Diamond Head 09. Miss Shapiro 10. You Really Got Me 11. Third Uncle 12. Lagrima - Reprise
DISCLAIMER: The music found through this blog is intended for review purposes and should not be seen as a substitute for the original, legal, RIAA approved, record company enriching product. Please note that songs are available for VERY short amount of time. And if you like the music BUY IT. Please support the artists and buy as much as you can directly from them and cut out the middle man.
zinhof [at] gmail.com